Each day we are exposed to many chemicals, heavy metals and environmental toxins which can upset our hormones, gut health and natural detoxification mechanisms.
When it comes to your beauty regime, traditional brands often contain chemicals such as triclosan, parabens and sodium laureth sulfate (SLS) which cannot be supported by scientific research as safe for long term human use. Much of the current research puts these chemicals in the class of endocrine disruptors and they have been found to contribute to hormonal imbalance including polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS); thyroid dysfunction; and even cancer.
The good news is that through diet and lifestyle changes we can minimise our toxin exposure and support our liver to detoxify those exogenous toxins that we can’t avoid. These include:
1. Consuming an abundance of cruciferous vegetables including broccoli, kale, brussel sprouts, cabbage and cauliflower. These are rich in sulfur containing compounds which support the various pathways of liver detoxification. Try my Broccoli & Kale Salad below for a delicious way to support your liver.
2. Ensure your nutrition is antioxidant-rich from foods including dark green leafy vegetables and berries. In some cases, herbs and powders such as milk thistle or broccoli sprouts may be needed for extra support.
3. Ensure adequate amounts of magnesium from dark green leafy vegetables, organic cacao, nuts and seeds.
4. Add high quality sources of omega-3 including salmon, trout and mackerel. If you can’t source wild-caught options, consider taking a fish oil supplement sourced via sustainable methods.
5. Prioritise hydration, aiming for a minimum of 2L of water, lemon water and herbal tea per day.
6. Minimise your intake of alcohol.
7. Support non-tox brands like KYND Scent and commit to gradually changing your entire beauty product range.
Broccoli & Kale Salad
Ingredients (Serves 2)
2 heads of Broccoli
1 teaspoon Cold-Pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
½ cup Flaked Almonds
¼ cup Goji berries
1 Avocado, diced
30g Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½ Lemon, juiced
¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
50g Cashew Feta, to top
Dice broccoli heads into small florets and cut the stems into bite size pieces. Lightly steam all and allow to cool in a large mixing bowl.
Sauté kale in coconut oil until soft and add to the bowl.
Top with almonds, Goji berries and avocado.
Combine olive oil, lemon juice and salt in a small bowl and dress the salad.
Top with feta and serve with your choice of protein such as grilled salmon or tofu. Leftovers are perfect for lunch the next day.
Facebook: The Natural Nutritionist